Ten years ago today was like any other day...when it began. I was teaching 5th grade in Plano, Texas. I had a 9 month old and Rocket was just a twinkle in my eye. (He came a year later.) Hubby worked at an private Lear jet company. We were living the high life...living for ourselves. Working to obtain paychecks to immediately give it away to mortgages and daycare. The Lord had truly blessed us financially. I remember the music teacher next door coming into my room and telling me some airplanes had just flew into the World Trade centers. I do have to admit...I had no idea what the World Trade Centers were. I had a class full of kids so life continued on as normal until I got my next break. Then I went into the workroom where the news was on. I remember being in their with others and no one saying a word. What could you say? A dear teacher friend, who had actually helped me get an interview at this school, had a boyfriend who lived in New York. She was able to get in touch with him immediately to make sure he was ok. Parents began showing up to take their kids home. Fear was everywhere. I went to pick up my little Sassy girl, went home, turned on the T.V. and couldn't stop watching. Hubby came home and we both just sat and just watched the horror on the TV. He worked for an Lear jet company and they had a radar that showed all the planes in the air. He said it was strange seeing all the planes land one by one and the screen becoming blank.
I knew nothing of the religion that was claiming responsibility. I had a student the year before who was of this religion. He was a sweet boy. In fact, I had a little incident with some of his school work not getting done. I called his parents to let them know. I never had another problem with him. The father was so apologetic and let me know this would never happen again. I wish I had that kind of support from all my parents! :) That was all I knew. When I think back on that...I am sad. I lived in such a diversified area and could have shared, but was ignorant to what they believed.
I could have never imagined that I would go and live among this people group just three years down the road. I never imagined I would grow to love this people group. I never imagined that some of the sweetest ladies of this religion have become my sweet friends. I could have never imagined that when I pray for them, tears flow. Because I love them and wish for them to know the true ONE!
If anything, over the last ten years I have learned that Jesus loves the people of this religion just as much as he loves me. He desires for them to know him. I am thankful for the opportunity to have lived among this people group and to say I understand more now.
My prayers go out to our nation, who is so far from Jesus, and to those who lost loved ones on that day. My prayers go out to all those who have never heard of the saving Grace of Jesus.
1 responses:
Wow - what a difference a few years can make!! Thanks for sharing this.
Post a Comment