Shopping here has been quite the experience. I usually go away with a headache and come home with things that I didn't realize I was buying. Most everything is in Thai. There may be a few subtitles in English but it is exhausting looking through all the Thai and realizing there is English. As a young child you begin reading way before you know your letters and words. You begin reading pictures and then move on to letters. That is exactly where we are right now. We are relying on pictures. Tonight I was trying to find cranberry juice, but couldn't figure out which one was cranberry. They had several that were berries but I couldn't tell which one was the one I wanted. Then there is really no way to know which one is 100% juice. Now buying meat and vegetables is also a quite fun. Some things need to be weighed and some don't. Tonight I sent Little Man to weigh some apples and get a sticker with the price put on it. They waved him away as the apples didn't need the price sticker. You just never know. Now when it comes to check out time. I never know what line to get in. I usually end up being ask to move to another line. Some take 10 or less items, some take only cash, etc. I have a hard time knowing...all the signs are in Thai! Right now shopping is fun and draining all at the same time. It is fun to see all the new things, but when I get home I think that I should have bought less fun and more practical. Eventually it will become more natural to shop here. I am trying to use the local market for produce. It is so much cheaper and a great way to practice my little bit of Thai. We found a wonderful meat store that has amazing beef and pork. The beef is imported from Australia. I have been introduced to a baker's store where I can buy my flours, sugars, and different things for baking.
Life is always an adventure. Some days I desire a little less adventure, but I know the father is growing me through even learning to shop all over again.
Thursday, October 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Pages
Powered by Blogger.
0 responses:
Post a Comment